Once you’ve decided on your vacation, one of the first things you will do is look for a flight. There are several international airports in the country of the Dominican Republic, but Puerto Plata International Airport (POP) is the closest to Cabarete, 20-30 minutes away.
You will find there are other airports you can choose from, however these require more expenses and things to consider when making a choice. The ride from other airports can take from 3-9 hours. If you type “flying into Cabarete” on the Google search bar, the results will automatically list 10 cities with nonstop flights into Puerto Plata. This is extremely quick and helpful.
Before you land:
You will be given 2 forms on the plane to fill out. They will ask for basic information like: business or pleasure, passport number, address to where you are staying, etc.
What to expect when you arrive:
The weather in Cabarete averages about 80°F (27°C). So, be prepared for a change in temperature and air quality. Once you get off the plane, a singing band of locals, and more often than not, a tasting of Brugal rum will greet you in the hallway that leads to customs.
By the end of the hall you will be asked to purchase a tourist card. The cost is $10USD, travelers checks are not accepted. The airport is very, small therefore baggage claim and immigration is quick, and you will be on your way in no time!
- From Miami: American has flights for about $400 return. Spirit is also an alternative.
- From NYC: American has flights for about $400 return and Jetblue for $300. Jetblue also flies to Santiago, which is 90 min away. Delta and Continental also have a direct flight.
- From the rest of the US: Try Spirit for a discounted price to Santo Domingo. Otherwise, connect via Miami or New York/Newerk on American, Continental, Jetblue or Delta; from Atlanta and Chicago via Delta or Jetblue; and Boston direct via jetblue.
There are multiple direct flights daily from Canada. Selloffvacations has great deals on charter flights.
Try Air Transat,Skyservice, Sunwing, and Air Canada. Westjet has seasonal service. Flight center also has some good deals on flights. Quebec city is serviced by Canjet, Skyservice, and Air Transat. From Western Canada, Air Transat flies direct from Vancouver, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary once a week in high season.
Skyservice flies direct from Regina, London, and Kitchener (!). Air Canada flies direct from Toronto and Montreal, and now Halifax. Westjet is our favourite. Also try Westjet’s new service from Samana to Toronto. You can also fly to the Turks and Caicos and grab a connector to Puerto Plata if you have the time.
Air Transat in DR : 809-970-212
From other Carribean islands:
Liat is a good option. Copa flies to Jamaica, Panama and other Central American and Carribbean islands. From St. Martin try DAE or Insel Air which both connect on to many of the leeward islands. From the turks and Caicos Air Turks goes to Santiago and Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata, and is only 30 min flight – Great option. Puerto Rico is a good hub via American Eagle and Air Turks. Martinique, French Guyana, and Guadaloupe via Air Carib . Cuba via Cubana.
From the UK:
- Charter flights and Thomas Cook. Last minute from $300.
From South America:
- Aeropostal via Venezuela, Copa via Panama, and Avencia via Columbia or TACA via Peru.
From Punta Cana:
- Takeoff flies for $150 wed, Friday, Sunday @ 5 pm . Book in advance because they book out! We can also arrange private planes via Coco Tours to fly you up to Samana and then taxi from Samana. Makes for a great road trip.
From Puerto Rico:
- via Santo Domingo on Pawa Dominicana or American Eagle or Air Carib.
- via Santo Domingo on Pawa Dominicana or Air Carib. Buses now run from Puerto Prince and Cap Hataine into Santiago and Santo Domingo.
- Corsair and other charters. Air France flies to Santo Domingo as does Air Europa.
- Jetflyair has GREAT deals
- Martin air flies direct.
From Austria and Germany:
- Air Berlin flies via Berlin . Condor Flies via Frankfurt.
- Air Europa flies to Santo Domingo, as does Iberia.
- Thomas Cook Scandanavia or fly to Brussels and go Jetairfly.
- There are direct flights from Moscow
- Don’t forget your PASSPORT
- Confirm your flight
- Wear sunscreen 🙂